Pages

Kenzie Boy

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Gavin boy

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sherman

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday 7 January 2014

The Electric Lunch Box ~ Meal # 5 (Millet & White Rice Porridge With Meat, Brocolli & Steamed Fish)

I bought the electric lunch box last year after I joined a group in FB when the lunch box started getting popular. I could see the electric lunch box in every discussion and new topics posted almost everyday. Thus, I decided to get one too to try it out. The electric lunch box is very mini (and cute), and it is good for cooking portion for 1-2 small small eaters, just nice for my fussy eater Kenzie boy, and now, for baby G.

For those packing food to work, or can cook (simple food) in the office during lunch time, the electric lunch box is useful and doesn't take up too much space in your office pantry. Here is how the mini and cute electric lunch box looks like.


Ever since the electric lunch box started getting popular in the FB forum (it is still a popular topic until today), I found my view counts (for all my electric lunch box posts) have increased tremendously, up to 250 views! But where is everybody? Nobody commented anything in my blog, guess they just read my post about the lunch box and go. I hope whoever is reading out there can drop me a comment here ya. But of course, you have the right to remain silent too because I know most people decide to remain as silent reader (just like the previous me).

To those following the recipes for toddlers in my blog, this is not something new already, yes? I have received requests asking me to share more toddler recipes using the lunch box. If you know me, I only cook simple food. So, let's get started.

First, wash (and soak) some (blended) millet and white rice in the lower pot. For baby G, I used 2 scoops (Enfalac formula scoop) and filled up the lower pot with enough water.


Add in some pork slices (you can use chicken breast or beef chunks) and broccoli florets (already soaked in salt water for a few hours), add water to the base of the box and then start boiling the porridge.


Thaw a small piece of fish and put on the upper tray (I used "mayau" fish, of course you can use other fish like "sek-pann" or "hung-jou", it's all up to you). I did not use any seasoning or ginger for the fish.


Check the porridge after half an hour (and add water to the base if there's not enough water) to continue cooking the porridge. When the porridge is cooked, put the fish on the upper layer of the pot, close the lid, and cook for another 5 minutes or so. The texture you can see here took about 35-40 minutes to cook.


Scrap the natural "juices" or gravy of the fish (I don't know why it's milky-whitish in colour, don't ask me) and mix the natural fish gravy into the porridge. If the fish is fresh, there will be no fishy smell, no worries. I even scooped and drank the leftover juice left on the plate.


Scoop (only) the porridge into a bowl, mix with the natural fish gravy and fish meat (crushed with finger bit by bit to make sure there's no bones). I boiled an egg earlier, and I added some mashed egg yolk into the porridge as well. Baby G is 9 months now, and I am starting him on egg yolk (must be hard-boiled). 

*Note: Toddlers before one is NOT encouraged to take egg-white. Egg yolk is fine for toddlers from 8 months onwards. However, some parents give their toddlers whole egg from 8 months onwards, (like can't wait to feed this that to their toddlers like that, hello, you have a lifetime to stuff them with food),  it's totally up to you. If the toddler has no allergies or does not develop any rashes after that, go ahead. I'm just sharing from experience.

White rice-millet porridge with pork (only for taste), broccoli, steamed fish & egg yolk
Baby G finished most of it and only left what was below.


Good to zzz after a full tummy. Now baby G has a bad habit of falling asleep in the stroller. When he starts to get cranky wanting to sleep, he refused to be carried to sleep. So I put him in the stroller, give it a few pushes, and *thap*, he fall asleep liao, easy?

20 comments:

  1. oh electric lunch box, i saw this on the groupon websites but they give it a more glamorous name lah, i think something "mini cooker cum lunch box" if not mistaken, slightly less scary than the name "electric lunch box" lah~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yours is white and pink, so girly color lah.. the one i saw is in the milk cow patch patters, kind of cool.. and when i saw it i was kind of interested and almost wanted to buy.. but then second thought, i just like it because it's cool lah afterall i don't think i will be using it often, so save the money!! :p

      Delete
    2. but really very convenient and useful lah.. small portion for 1 person (my case) and 2 person (for you and your boys case), just dump in everything and cook a nice meal.. perfectly good for the "one pot cooks all" fans, agree?? hahahaha~~ :D

      Delete
    3. truly, you see your baby G sleeping so soundly after makan.. and i think with that electric lunch box, you also can take a short nap after "dumping" all the ingredients inside while waiting for the thing to be cooked.. or probably, pretend to be so busy in the kitchen but doing your own things on your own sweet time~~ :D

      Delete
    4. Eh, hello, I'm a girl ma, of coz I choose pinky colour lor... Ooohh you also saw this in Groupon b4 ahh? Then good lor, means this is not something alien to you.. At least you know what I writing lah.. Perhaps you should get one, coz you are an aunty kiasu ma.. Everyone is talking about this in the forum, it's the "in-thing" now.. Just boil tong sui or soup at home lor..

      Yes, don't expect to cook a lot with this cooker. If you put too much inside, it will spill when you are steaming it. It is actually a steamer, but a very mini one.. The food cooks in the steaming water.. Upper layer can cook rice, bottom layer can cook ABC soup, you always say you are an aunty kiasu.. So u really no ngam meh?

      Baby G is a light sleeper.. He sleeps like 3-4x a day, but only for 30-45 minutes max.. When he is asleep only I got time to shit la.. Can you belif it, I wanted to shit that day, but I hold it, coz I was attending to baby G.. Haiz, the shit went back up.. By the waime baby G is asleep and I have to shit, the shit cannot come out liao lor..

      Delete
  2. I agree that the word "Electric Lunch Box" has a scary name even to an advertising man like me. Better call it Lunch Box Warmer but this one really cooks inside. It should be called "Baby's Portable Chef". Muahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That name is scary meh? Scared "pau char" izzit? But it's really written as the electric lunch box wor.. Wah, TM, I like you man, you are always very creative to name stuffs.. This time ~ Baby's Portable Chef.. Gawd, it sounds much nicer..

      Delete
  3. I find the new inventions are very innovative these days for human's benefits and convenience!

    I have just tried electric mattress in Emei Shan this winter and that saves their electricity of having to warm the whole big room.

    Once I won an electric mug warmer at our company dinner in HKG and it was useful for a coffee addict like me in office but a thief stole it!!! That thief drinks coffee too! Bwahahaha

    Soon you will find an Electric Baby Pram that can rock your baby to sleep and go jalan jalan with just remote control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, I am waiting for that electric thingy to help push my son to sleep lah..

      You know, he has developed this bad habit from dunno where, when he cried and wants to sleep soon, he prefers to be in the stroller, and all you have to do is to push the stroller.. If I am lucky, I only have to push (backward and forward) for about 5-10 minutes. If I'm not lucky, I would have to push (like a slave) for about 45 minutes baru he fall alseep wor..

      So yes, I guess I need that robotic electric baby pram that can push itself forward and backward, haha..

      Delete
  4. Your baby sleeps like a Baby Prince! He has long legs and can do hip-hop dancing next time! Send him to Korea to join K-Pop when he is big! We all uncle and auntie bloggers will sure cheer and support this Mama Ribbon Princess' son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish! Then this old hag (me in the future) will at least have a nice mansion to stay, big dogs to guard the house for me, 5 servants for me to use and a driver to fetch us everywhere we wana go :)

      Delete
  5. how much did you buy that for? I saw it being sold for RM90

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda useful for those who cook for one or two person la.

      Delete
    2. with escalating cost ...its a good way to have healthy and warm food

      Delete
    3. Now the price is lower liao, yes, my colleague also bought from MyDeal at around RM90 only. Me pulak, I bought last year, RM138 leh!! That's why now kiasu have to "pok meang" use lor..

      Delete
  6. I have seen this electric lunch box in your earlier posts. Looks quite cute and compact. Your baby G is getting very healthy and wholesome food. Got egg yolk inside sure sedap!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your baby's porridge looks so yummy,healthy and high in protein! Lucky boy he is..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh i just got myself one too. I am wondering how much water to put for one cup of rice. Struggling with the manual because all in Chinese words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! may i know what's the link for the FB forum group on this lunch box? cause I just bought the lunch box recently and would love to know more recipes as I am quite a bad cook myself :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Himummy, Since you asked to comment after read up :) would like to drop u a few lines here. Am planning to travel with my lo therefore searching some idea for my 16months lo. Thanks for sharing, is very useful tips.

    ReplyDelete